How I Got Into MIT and More Pi Day Adventures

by Jay London on March 14, 2017 · 3 comments

in Alumni Life, Campus Culture, Events, Remember When..., Student Life, Video

To the MIT community, and to the math-obsessed throughout the world, March 14 is Pi Day, a celebration the world’s most famous mathematical constant. In recent years, Pi Day has evolved into the Institute’s unofficial nerd holiday. The Admissions Office announces its admission decisions on Pi Day—at exactly 6:28 p.m., to honor another celebrated constant, Tau. And on Pi Day 2017, MIT will hold its first 24-hour giving challenge.

Learn more about the 24-hour event then visit the Institute’s 24-Hour Challenge pageAs you consider joining the challenge, watch the Alumni Association’s newest Pi Day-related video above, which features recent and longtime alumni sharing what it felt like to be accepted to MIT. For more unique-to-MIT goodness, watch MIT’s diverse archive of Pi-related videos below, which includes droids, zen, football, and MIT’s newest superhero, Ironheart.

“My whole life has been…people telling me what I can’t do. Now I’m doing it.” – Riri Williams, a.k.a. Ironheart. (Pi Day 2017)

“Alright guys, Pi play on one. Break!” (November 2016)

These are the droids you’ve been looking for. (Pi Day 2016)

Let the MIT Alumni Association help you find your zen. (Pi Day 2016)

Amelia Trainer ’18 explains her love of Pi. (June 2016)

On MIT campus, Pi is all around us. (“Super” Pi Day 2015)

Always keep your eyes to the skies on Pi Day. (Pi Day 2015).

To learn more about the MIT 24-Hour Challenge, including signing up to be an ambassador or get updates on the day’s success, visit the MIT 24-Hour Challenge page.

{ 3 comments… read them below or add one }

Alan Friot March 14, 2017 at 11:07 am

Did you ever wonder why,
We do so relate to Pi?
Pi a never ending number relates to a never ending circular path. Which is the path one try’s to avoid in life.

Reply

H.B. March 14, 2017 at 1:16 pm

“The Admissions Office announces it’s admission decisions on Pi Day…” I didn’t apply but I think you mean *its.

Reply

Joseph Kozikowski, Course VI, '56 March 15, 2017 at 11:18 am

Happy Binary 11/1111 Day!

Reply