MIT Named the Top University in the World

by Jay London on April 15, 2016 · 16 comments

in Alumni Life, In the News

MIT_aerialEarlier this year, U.S. News & World Report ranked MIT among the best graduate schools in the United States, including best engineering school for the 28th consecutive year. And now MIT has extended its top rank to entire world: The QS World University Rankings named MIT the world’s top university for the 4th consecutive year, and placed the Institute in the top spot in 11 other categories.

The QS World University Rankings are annual global report published by Quacquarelli Symonds, an organization specializing in education and study abroad, and their ranking system relies heavily on academic reputation garnered from a global survey. In addition to its 12 first-place rankings, MIT placed in the top 10 in 10 additional categories:

• World University: 1st
  • Accounting and Finance: 2nd
  • Architecture: 1st
  • Art and Design: 2nd
  • Biological Science: 3rd
  • Business and Management Studies: 6th
  • Chemical Engineering: 1st
  • Chemistry: 1st
  • Civil and Structural Engineering: 1st
  • Computer Science and Information Systems: 1st
  • Earth and Marine Science: 4th
  • Economics: 1st
  • Electrical and Electronic Engineering: 1st
  • Engineering—Mineral and Mining: 2nd
  • Environmental Studies: 3rd
  • Linguistics: 1st
  • Material Science: 1st
  • Mathematics: 3rd
  • Philosophy: 10th
  • Physics and Astronomy: 1st
  • Psychology: 9th
  • Statistical and Operational Research: 1st

The QS World University Rankings methodology consists of six categories: academic peer review (40 percent); faculty/student ratio (20); citations per faculty (20); employer reputation (10); international student ratio (5); and international staff ratio (5). According to QS, MIT earned perfect scores in academic reputation, employer reputation, faculty/student ratio, international faculty, and citations per faculty.

Last year, MIT ranked high in U.S. News & World’s undergraduate U.S. rankings, placing MIT first in 12 categories, including Best Undergraduate Engineering Program, and in the top five in seven more, including Best Undergraduate Business Program (2nd) and Most Innovative School (3rd).

Read a Slice of MIT article from August 2015 to see where MIT ranks in the more untraditional categories, including Most Intense College and Smartest Students. Share your thoughts on the college rankings hysteria in the comments below, or on Facebook and Twitter.

{ 16 comments… read them below or add one }

Prayag Mehar Kayastha April 15, 2016 at 12:14 pm

I just want to be in MIT

Reply

Iyabode Attah April 17, 2016 at 11:06 pm

You can be if you are outstanding in all areas, even if you can’t afford the fees. But you must be ready to work hard! My first son graduated in 2015 and second is a Junior. I know someone who has just been admitted and he will be attending at a very high discount! A hard & fun place to be!

Reply

I want to study in MIT

Reply

Sai Krishna D April 15, 2016 at 12:52 pm

Congratulations! Great to see MIT in the first place, and crossed Stanford, Harvard, and Oxford! Keep it up!

Thank yoU!

Reply

Deon Michelle Medwynter April 15, 2016 at 2:22 pm

It is a pleasure to learn from MIT’s faculty. Thank you for sharing your knowledge base. I truly appreciate Dr. Peter Hirst’s efforts to make available pertinent material on a consistent basis.

Reply

Antonio Cervelli April 15, 2016 at 3:49 pm

What about Mechanical Engineering???

Reply

Toni Ferreira April 15, 2016 at 4:17 pm

Was just asking myself the same thing. We’ve been #1 in ME for years now…

Reply

Josephine Oller-Holzmacher April 16, 2016 at 12:19 am

Thank you MIT for my education I wish I were still there.

Josephine Oller-Holzmacher (Adams)
Advanced Master Architecture 1980

Reply

jose de moreira April 18, 2016 at 9:54 am

I have very invention i need representation

Reply

jose de moreira April 18, 2016 at 9:56 am

I need representation my invention milhionaria

Reply

tameen April 19, 2016 at 8:02 pm

I want study in civil structure rngineering plz prosess

Reply

Brandon Rigney April 21, 2016 at 7:15 pm

I had such a wonderful four years there a long time ago, when I was very young, impressionable and hopeful.

I lived in a great fraternity house and my life was criss-crossed by many wonderful friends of varying personalities, all of which were unique, like our school.

It is great to see the Institute reaching new heights in the eyes of the world, and to understand why so many people want to join us as graduates.

Reply

Val Ivanov April 22, 2016 at 5:25 pm

MIT rocks.
There is simply no match in curiosity, drive, diversity of personalities… intellectual craziness! Happy to hear it will continue to draw the best. Wish I could re-live the moments.

CEE, 2006

Reply

Ricardo Roque April 28, 2016 at 3:26 pm

Folks, I think this USA university hysteria is both nice but irrational, especially if you are a foreigner. Well, just think about that ETH Zurich is #1 in Marine #2 Chemistry #5 Engineering and you pay 1’200 USD a year. At MIT, Stanford, Caltech, Oxford, well, we all know it, it can go 40-50x the tuition!!! Lol, it’s like buying a Adidas shoes for 10 and the same but Nike for 500 lol. ETH Zurich, best school in the world!

Reply

Brandon Rigney April 28, 2016 at 4:32 pm

Response to Ricardo Roque about ETH Zurich being cheaper:

There is no free lunch anywhere. If the education is less expensive in Zurich, it is because someone is paying for such high quality, not the student by paying tuition. I don’t know if Switzerland is that much of a socialist country with extremely high taxes to subsidize colleges, but I do know that anything of quality anywhere in the world is paid for by someone with money, or a lot of people paying taxes.

When I entered MIT in 1949, we were told that the tuition costs we paid represented less than one-third of the actual costs. The rest came from endowments. I think the case is the same now, although I suspect that subsidies from scholarships make up a larger percentage today than they did 65 years ago.

Reply

Rodolfo Andrade May 25, 2016 at 12:34 pm

Class 1952. course I retired, succesful contractor, Thank you MIT

Reply