U.S. News & World Report released its 2017 Best Graduate Schools Rankings for business schools and engineering schools, and MIT earned first-place rankings 10 categories, plus top-10 rankings in eight more.
The magazine’s rankings, which were released on March 16, named MIT’s School of Engineering as the top graduate engineering school for the 28th consecutive year. The Institute received top engineering rankings in six sub-categories. The MIT Sloan School of Management was as the fifth-ranked graduate business school and earned a top ranking in three sub-categories.
U.S. News Best Grad School Rankings
- Aerospace/Aeronautical/Astronautical Engineering: 1
- Biomedical Engineering / Bioengineering: 4 (tie)
- Chemical Engineering: 1
- Civil Engineering: 8
- Computer Engineering: 1 (tie)
- Electrical / Electronic / Communications Engineering: 1 (tie)
- Environmental / Environmental Health Engineering: 10 (tie)
- Industrial / Manufacturing / Systems Engineering: 6
- Materials Engineering: 1
- Mechanical Engineering: 1
- Nuclear Engineering: 2
- Entrepreneurship: 3
- Finance: 6
- Information Systems: 1
- Production/Operations: 1
- Supply Chain / Logistics: 1
U.S. News & World Report also lists MIT number one in its most recent rankings for Biological Sciences, Chemistry, Computer Science, Economics, Math, and Physics, which dates back to 2014. In September 2015, the magazine released its 2016 Best U.S. Colleges Rankings, and MIT ranked first in 12 categories, including Best Undergraduate Engineering Program.
And if you’re looking for where MIT ranks in the more untraditional categories, including Most Intense College (1st) and Smartest Students (3rd), read our Slice of MIT article from August 2015, where you can find college rankings roundups from Business Insider, Forbes, and other media outlets.