Promote Longevity: Results from MIT Research

by Julie Barr on January 15, 2016 · 78 comments

in Alumni Life, Health, Research

011516_LeanardGuarente

Photo: M. Scott Brauer.

Yes, aging may be inevitable, but Leonard Guarente ’74 believes we can slow it down. With more than 34 years studying aging as director of the MIT Glenn Lab for the Science of Aging, Guarente says the key is pinpointing the factors present in youthful cells that promote cellular maintenance and determining ways to activate these mechanisms.

In 2013, Guarente started Elysium Health with co-founders Eric Marcotulli and Dan Alminana in an effort to bring products to market that could improve health based on his findings. His solution? Nutraceuticals—supplements created by pure forms of molecules found in nature.

The first supplement released by Elysium, Basis, contains two important molecules that Guarente’s research has determined to be key factors in promoting longevity. The first is a chemical precursor to nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide, or NAD, a compound present in all living cells and a necessary metabolic compound for maintaining health maintenance. The second is pterostilbene, a compound that is almost identical—though proven to be more effective—than the more well-known resveratrol, a compound with health benefits related to aging that is commonly found in things like red wine and dark chocolate. “The novelty was to combine the two molecules,” says Guarente. “And then to find a way to produce them so that we could have pure compounds in the products. That took a while but we found a production facility that could do it.”

Basis was first released for sales in February 2015 after initial human trials, additional trials for safety and efficacy began in January 2016. Run by an independent group, these trials will result in a report, slated to be published in late 2016, that is expected to expand the safety data and begin to test efficacy in humans.

The trials, placebo-controlled and double-blind, will measure markers of good health like blood glucose, lipids, levels of inflammation, sleep and energy, as well as tests based on physical capacity. “It is imperative that we do this and it will really set us apart from almost anybody out there in the dietary supplement area, making us more like a drug company in terms of scientific rigor.”

A clinical trial isn’t the only factor adding to their credibility. They also have a team of more than two dozen scientists, including six Nobel Laureates, and a focus on quality control. Elysium is creating a new breed of supplement companies, says Guarente. “It’s an unmet need. Our challenge is to identify the right products and be as rigorous as possible in testing them.”

Elysium is also planning to release two new supplements in the coming year. “A lot of our customers are people who really want to take ownership of their own health maintenance and they want to be proactive in health,” says Guarente. “They want to learn from us and we try to provide them with as much information as possible.”

{ 78 comments… read them below or add one }

Danny Castonguay January 21, 2016 at 8:44 pm

Where’s the data? The best marketing for me would be that the experimental data be easily available so I can check it out and make my decisions about the product.

Reply

R May 1, 2016 at 12:09 am
Lewis Green January 23, 2016 at 7:33 pm

I enjoyed the article on Promote Longevity and would like to see articles with similar information.

Reply

Sharon Ann Clark, M.D. February 29, 2016 at 7:17 pm

I am a plastic and reconstructive surgeon with an interest in the molecular basis of your products on aging and the scientific data of the therapies. Please send me the literature when you have some data.

Thank you.

Reply

Karen April 1, 2016 at 2:37 pm

I am very interested in doing a study with you. I would like to take the product and measure results.

Reply

Mary Rose LoVerso April 14, 2016 at 4:26 am

I would appreciate your considering EGCG in your study, since many patients take mega doses for cancer suppression.Pharmacutical grade of EGCG has not been available, outside of the clinical studies done at the Mayo Clinic.

Reply

Marie April 14, 2016 at 8:07 am

I am highly allergic to Resveratrol. Have never been able to drink red wine or take any supplements that list that as an ingredient. How will this new agent help me ????
Thank you

Reply

Eugene Fein April 23, 2016 at 11:28 pm

Do what I did I went to Florida found the fountain of youth and you won’t believe the results! I have some water left contact me I will send you some!

Reply

Jennifer April 14, 2016 at 8:21 am

I hope this is not another scam. I have literally tried every lotion, potion and gadget and nothing works short of surgery.

Reply

Jennifer King May 9, 2016 at 7:38 am

Anti-aging for the eyes, face, body & brain

Reply

Hector f Calo April 19, 2016 at 1:59 pm

Ok, show me

Reply

Ron moldovan April 19, 2016 at 6:28 pm

Have many terminal illnesses CHF, kidney failure,and eppilesy 65 well documented at the university of Mich.been patient since 1979.would your research be a chance at longevity for me? Almost all my doctors are faculty.

Reply

Tom April 19, 2016 at 7:32 pm

I have found a nutrient and a mushroom that stimulate The growth Of new stem cells. I have been using one for 10 years and one for 2 years and I have rolled back the time on my body. The hair on my body has turned from grey to Black, I wore glasses for 50 years now I just use them for driving. My last hearing test the doctor told me what I was hearing 2000 Hertz higher the previous test. I had a heart beat that would miss every fourth beat , after 3 years on my 1st nutrient my heart start beating normally. I am now 77 years old and never felt better about my life. some people call this nutrigenomics.

Reply

Scott Jones April 22, 2016 at 2:53 am

Please share details…

Reply

Dorothy April 23, 2016 at 7:36 pm

Would like to know what Tom is taking.

Reply

tom May 13, 2016 at 6:52 pm

Hi Dorothy ,I have Been taking goji juice for 10 years and I completely refurbished my body and cells to a point where they actually get younger. two years ago I found a mushroom call Reishi and it also Creates stem cells. As you age your Cells die there’s not enough stem cells 2 replace the dying off ones. both goji and Reishi allows your body to create new stem cells. if you start this regiment you won’t notice a difference from one day to the next but over time your eyes, ears,hair will get younger. just stay the course and you will be rewarded what the health of your body. if you have questions just email me. Tom

Reply

Dorothy May 19, 2016 at 7:26 pm

Thanks Tom! I will try both. Do you buy a certain brand and how much of each?

tom May 13, 2016 at 6:39 pm

Hi Scott, I have been taking a GOJI juice for 10 years just two teaspoons a day and it creates new stem cells that rejuvenate the body as cells that die. I found reishi mushroom 2 years ago which also creates new stem cells.if you start this regime each day you won’t notice a difference but you will basically you look and feel the same 5 years later. just stay the course and add some physical exercise you will enjoy a healthy life. if you want more information just email me. Tom

Reply

Christina April 24, 2016 at 10:29 am

Hi, Tom. Please email me what it is your taking. I really like to know about it and how I can benefit.

Thank you,
Christina

Reply

tom May 13, 2016 at 11:24 pm

Christina, I have taken Goji juice 2 for the last 10 years and my whole body has reverted to a younger body. as we age we start depleting our stemcells production, by our body it decreases. 2 yrs ago I found a mushroom called Reishi that has the ability to stimulate our body to create stem cells.if you start this regiment you will not notice a difference from day to day, but as years pass you will not see a aging difference in your body. if you need any more info just get in touch with me. Tom

Reply

Dorothy Grob April 25, 2016 at 5:13 pm

Hi Tom, could you tell me what the products are you were taking? You seem to have had great results so I am interested. Thanks for any info you can send me.

Reply

tom May 13, 2016 at 11:43 pm

Hi Dorothy, I have been using Goji juice for the last 10 years and found that over the years my body reverted to a younger person. it comes from the ability to have the body create new stem cells. As we age we lose more and more cells goji create new stem cells to cancels out the depletion of our own cells. Two years ago I found a mushroom called Reish, that has the same ability as goji to create new stem cells. you will not notice a difference from day to day on this regiment, but over the years you will not change that much. Any questions get in touch with me. Tom

Reply

Donnie May 14, 2016 at 12:28 am

Hey Dorthy, did you ever did out what nutrients Tom was taking? Thanks, Donnie

Reply

tom May 19, 2016 at 6:39 pm

Hi Donnie, I have been using Goji juice for the last 10 years. the reason that I have used Goji juice is because it initiates new stem cells. over years your body doesn’t produce stem cells as it did when you were younger. like I said in my write-up all those things really happened and I feel like I have a younger body now because of stem cell therapy created by Gogi. 2 years ago I found a mushroom called Reishi, it also help trigger new stem cells. if you start this regiment you won’t see results from day-to-day but you will see results from year to year. any questions email me. Tom

Reply

Dorothy May 19, 2016 at 7:41 pm

Yes. He said he takes goji berry juice- 2 teaspoons per day. Also, Reishi mushroom but He didn’t say how much or in what form.

Reply

tom May 20, 2016 at 12:22 pm

Hi Dorothy, you can organic goji at “vitacost.com” item- 7010493, REISHI at “Planetary HERBALS” called ‘REISHI MUSHROOM SUPREME” item 2107810124. one tablet a day. if you start this regime i would advise you to take goji twice a day 12 hours apart. since it works so good, twice a day will speed up the process. any questions email me. tom

tom May 20, 2016 at 4:37 pm

HI again Dorothy, I don’t know if you know about TELOMERE’S , I just had mine tested and my telometer’s are twice the length of the average 77 yr. old male. I can say that GOJI JUICE has help me in that area. tom

Tom April 28, 2016 at 6:19 pm

I am interested in finding out what you’re taking.Sounds to good to be true.

Reply

tom May 14, 2016 at 7:15 pm

Hi Tom,nice Name, I have been using goji juice for over 10 years it changed most cells in my body. goji juice stimulates the growth of new stem cells. as we age we have less Stem cells to replace the cells that die. 2 yrs ago I found a mushroom called Reishi. it also helps with the creation of new stem cells.my sight, hearing,all grey hair body change to black. if you start this regiment you will not see a day-to-day change but surely you will see great changes through your whole body From year to year. if you have any questions just contact me. Tom

Reply

Andy May 13, 2016 at 10:38 am

Hello Tom,
Very interested in hearing details about the two products that you’re taking – thanks for sharing have a great day

Reply

Ray May 17, 2016 at 12:54 pm

The Synergy Company’s product “Pure Synergy” is already making the superfood you just described. It’s been around for 35 years.

Reply

Shannon May 25, 2016 at 3:12 pm

Would love to know what you’re taking….

Reply

tom May 26, 2016 at 6:44 pm

Hi Shannon, I have been taking Goji juice for the last 10 years and Reishi mushrooms for the last 2 years. they both stimulate stem cells. as you get older your stem cell output will diminish and without replacing the dying body cells you eventually wear yourself down. the stem cells that are generated buy goji and Reishi replenish new cells that help to cancel out the dying cells. if you start this regime you will not notice a day today change but eventually you will See a year 2 year change reversing some aging processes. Tom

Reply

Maia May 25, 2016 at 10:57 pm

Hi ! What exactly do you take ?

Reply

Wyniece Speed Harris May 27, 2016 at 9:00 am

I would like to know what substance/ mushroom you are speaking of. Thanks!

Reply

John Leuchtman April 19, 2016 at 9:38 pm

I’m interested when safety study is finished. I’d like more info on ingredients and side effects. I’m 70 in excellent health and wish to extend it.

Reply

Alex Wilson April 20, 2016 at 4:40 am

Interested in participating in trials.

Reply

Rodney Bird April 20, 2016 at 7:58 am

Interested in your research and product.

Reply

Mauricio J April 20, 2016 at 8:34 am

Will like to test your product … please reach back to me!
Thank you

Reply

Heidi Egloff April 20, 2016 at 8:41 am

Very interesting!

Reply

Eileen Christiansen April 20, 2016 at 8:56 am

I would love to learn more

Reply

Fred Haft April 20, 2016 at 10:42 am

Most interested in taking part in your longevity study. Please contact me at your convenience.

Reply

David kearney April 20, 2016 at 1:44 pm

I would like to join your trials,I am male 65
Years old

Reply

Alex P. Sena April 20, 2016 at 3:34 pm

I am interested and have been for some time now in taking your products either purchased outright and/or in clinical trials to improve my quality of life and to reverse my ageing. Can you sign me up via email?

Reply

colleen April 20, 2016 at 7:21 pm

please send me info. would love to give it a try….

Reply

James Hudson April 21, 2016 at 7:00 am

I am interested for many reasons.
1) It is a natural compound
2) Passing the two year mark of end of treatment for Head and Neck as well as bladder cancer.
3) I wonder if this product would be beneficial in restoring my body after the damage done by treatment.

Reply

James Hudson April 21, 2016 at 7:02 am

Interested in restoring cells damaged by radiation and chemotherapy for Stage IV Tongue cancer.

Reply

Jacques April 22, 2016 at 11:56 am

Please keep me updated on this research.

Reply

Yvonne Stevenson April 23, 2016 at 3:17 pm

I’m 67, and until the last year after I quit smoking , I’ve been in very good health . I’ve been very tired and concerned about my lack of energy . So ,after reading this article , I’d love to be concidered to participate in an upcoming trial . I’m not ready to slow down !

Reply

Robert Bingham April 23, 2016 at 5:39 pm

Please send me additional information of what is currently available and which products are in a testing phase.

Thank you.

Bob

Reply

Fritz Hubig April 23, 2016 at 6:15 pm

Very interested

Reply

Dorothy April 23, 2016 at 7:38 pm

Would like more information on this topic.

Reply

Christina April 24, 2016 at 10:40 am

Hi, how do I find your product and where is it being sold? Are there any before and after photos of people on your product? Are there any side-effects? Please inform me.

Thank you,
Christina

Reply

Joseph Gasbarrini April 25, 2016 at 9:25 am

I am a 52 yr old male, I have quite a story to tell you ! I was injured the day after the 9-11 attacks 2001, as a corrections officer at Attica C-F in NY State, breaking up 6 inmates stabbing each other to death, I injured my back severely and was retired disabled in 2010 after 7 major back surgeries, and 23 years of service, My health spiraled out of control during this time and I became very dependent on opioids, just like we see all over the news today ! by 2004 I had gained so much weight that I had full gastric bypass and got rid of 150 pounds, all because of my inactivity ! Since, then depression has set in as the Lord has pretty much taken away from me everything I loved to do, I was an avid outdoorsman and now don’t seem to want to go outside anymore as it just reminds me of all the things I can’t do, My head is always clouded because of the pills, but the pain without them seemed unbearable and I felt trapped ! about 3 months ago I had, …..I don’t know what to call it but I seen myself not wanting to go on like this anymore . So I went to a pain management doctor and said, “get me off these pills and this addiction” at which time we began cutting doses a little at a time and currently I am already at less then half the dose I was on and feel I am on my way to getting completely off these pills, I was taking oxycontin 40 mg 2X daily and hydrocodone 10s 4 and sometimes 5 times daily ! yeah, I was slowly killing myself ! but as I said currently I am at half the dose of the oxy’s and am completely off the hydro’s ! my head is coming out of the cloud, now I still had no energy to do much other then to go from my hospital bed that I purchased and go to my recliner! now here’s the relevance ….I reached out to Elysium Health looking for something to help me right the ship, I have been on your pills for 2 months now and “WOW” what a difference, my energy level has gone through the roof, I am getting out of my chair and going outside again, my wife tells me of the big difference as of late and says she’s getting her “Joe” back ! Thank You Elysium and feel free to contact me if you need to use me as a test result, example, whatever and if not that’s fine too, just thank you for helping me !! Sincerely Joe Gasbarrini

Reply

Sarah April 27, 2016 at 2:42 pm

Yes, I am interested in this study and products being used. I would love to be a part of any study with this product. Are there any before and after pictures? Does any one experience side affects? I look forward to hearing from you.
Thanks so much,
My Best regards,
Sarah

Reply

jeniel afton cramer April 27, 2016 at 3:55 pm

My husband has had Phen Phen which has damaged his heart – he is out of breath doing anything for more than 5 minutes. Is there anyway he can get his energy back?
A guinea pig for elysium we would gladly try.

Reply

joel unowsky April 28, 2016 at 7:34 pm

Don’t sell the product before clinical efficacy and safety data are available. the studies should be double blind and statistically validated and published in a peer reviewed reputable medical journal.

Reply

Patricia Crawford April 28, 2016 at 8:58 pm

Basis is available now, I bought some and am giving it a try. Click the link to Elysium, or just google it.

Reply

Marque Strong April 29, 2016 at 1:47 am

this is what i have been looking for……. i would love to participate in your trials…. i am yours to use as you see fit…. please contact me i am healthy and more than willing to help in any way to move the science of longevity and a healthy whole life for all forward thank you

Reply

joel unowsky April 29, 2016 at 1:36 pm

Do a controlled clinical trial. Testimonials go back to the era of patent medicine, indian tonics and tent sales.

Reply

Lee Zimmerman May 1, 2016 at 11:46 am

Nothing is more convincing but not totally conclusive is large number, double blind, tests, done by unrealted facilities. Early in medical school I remember a professor saying; ” Lies, Damn Lies, and Staticits….”

Reply

Bob Labreche May 1, 2016 at 5:27 pm

I’m very interested in participation in your study or even becoming a customer if that is the only path. I study cancer tumor locations and environmental influences in the USA and internationally as well. Please contact me.

Reply

Maria Flores May 1, 2016 at 6:33 pm

Yes i’m interested in this study and products.

Reply

carol May 1, 2016 at 6:34 pm

Would this help C O P D ?

Reply

m88 May 2, 2016 at 2:37 pm

I’m 55; I’ve been in very good health . I’ve been very tired. So ,after reading this article , I’d love to be concidered to participate in an upcoming trial . I’m not ready to slow down ! I love my life! Fighting!!!!

Reply

Cindy May 2, 2016 at 5:06 pm

I have RA, I can’t do biologics do to I had to have part of my lung removed because of mold, cryptococcus. Have been on diflucan for a year now and might get to come off this next month. Kind of scary to come off. I take methotrexate pill form and prednisone and folic acid for the RA. Plus D3. vitamin C, biotin and a multiple. So do you guys do any research or clinical trials for RA and do you have anything for RA? thanks

Reply

Chris May 8, 2016 at 11:06 am

Have you tried Humira? It has helped my friend tremdously. Good luck.

Reply

Andy May 13, 2016 at 10:42 am

Hello,
My brother has experience kidney damage from Humira – it works but has pretty bad side effects

Reply

Andy May 13, 2016 at 10:44 am

If you do the trials please add me to the list of candidates I would be very interested in participating

Reply

Mark Jay May 13, 2016 at 7:33 pm

My formula is a synergistic combination of the three most important algae: chlorella, spirulina and marine phytoplankton. Of the three, the phytoplankton is the most powerful and concentrated. Together they are highly effective in invigorating the endocrine system and stimulating the glands to produce much needed hormones.
The result from taking my formula is a noticeable increase in cognitive functioning, an absence of joint paint or bodily inflammation, an increase in libido and a continual sense of joy.
These single cell algae are the cutting edge of nutrition. Humans, mammals and fish can derive the utmost benefit by daily consuming even a small amount. I encourage anyone who is interested in longevity, anti-aging and happy life to try my product risk free and learn about the amazing benefits of using single cell algae and plankton in your diet.
Asante!

Reply

Wyniece Speed Harris May 27, 2016 at 9:05 am

I would be interested in finding out more about your product.

Reply

Aisha May 16, 2016 at 12:14 am

I am interested in participating in the study.

Reply

A colon May 16, 2016 at 12:19 am

I would like to participate in your study.

Reply

jacqueline kello May 24, 2016 at 11:30 am

How is it absorbed and excreted? Can you measure uptake, its levels in the bloodstream over what time frame, even better, see the cells in the process of ingestion. Otherwise, you are just excreting it. There are two many variables to judge the product by perceived effects.

Reply

Pusat Motor Indonesia May 29, 2016 at 6:21 pm

Humans merely trying though took 40 years …

Reply

Dorothy May 20, 2016 at 4:32 pm

Thanks Tom, you have given me more help than my doctor. I appreciate it and might just leave you something in my will. With these two youth elixirs, I may never die, though.haha thanks again

Reply

tom May 24, 2016 at 6:40 pm

HI again Dot, one side bar to my story. I just had my telomeres test it and my telomeres measure twice the length of an average 77 year old man. I guess I could assume that goji has help me in more than one way that I didn’t know about. I found a place that does telomere testing for $125. Take care, Tom

Reply

Dorothy May 24, 2016 at 6:57 pm

I’m impressed, Tom. Genes may come into play here,eh? I put my order in for the goji juice and Reishi from vitacost. Will arrive soon. You must be doing other brilliant things,also. What do you eat, and how much do you exercise?

Reply